Friday, July 31, 2009

Mask Theory and Meeting with Nate

Meeting with Nate:

Disappearing Bed

Why isn’t work done?

When can he get back? August 16

When can he start working on the set? August 16

Honors college funding?

Memorized?

Scale drawing for Patrick?

How do we contact you? kvjp @iup.edu

Mask Theory:

There were always going to be masks in the show. From the conception of the idea I wanted masks in the show. I think that the majority of my shows have had some kind of face alteration, whether it’s through mask, digitally in the video, or through “ clever” lighting.

Masks are interesting because they show that the wearer is hiding something, that they are holding something back. There are other purposes of course, but if you see a person in a mask there is a sense of wonderment.

Once Scott and I came to the conclusion that the set was actually an underground theater that gave us a logical reason to use the masks besides that they look cool. At first we went to the Commedia Dell Arte’ masks because of their connection to theater as well the introductory monologue that’s been added. Upon further research there really aren’t a lot of masks involved in Commedia. At least not enough for this show. The masks used for Commedia exaggerate the features of the wearer. For some characters I wanted the persons face to be completely covered to convey the magic of wonderland.

What I really wanted, but wasn’t aware of, was Venetian masks. We decided to combine the two, which seems to have happened to some extent already.

To logically place the masks within the Wonderland I needed to know how they got there. Yes, they exist within the theater that is the set as well as the actors that are wearing them, but they needed to exist in the show within a show. Why did the Red Queen wear a mask? Why did the Jabberwocky?

Even if the audience may never know that answer it seemed cheap to bank on that assumption.

It makes sense that these kids that exists within the Hierarchy of Wonderland would bastardize the way the Hierarchy used to be. These young adults were in power now that the adults had, for lack of a better word, dropped the ball. This is a reflection of how the real world, the coal mining town, had become. I’ve lived in coal mining towns, towns that used to be booming, but for one reason or another have dried up. I’ve observed how children in these areas develop a certain demeanor and attitude and a way of taking the old and making it their own, for better or worse. I this case the Commedia/ Venetian masks have been used in the same way there elders would have, but made grungy or mechanized.

There are two exceptions. The Jabberwocky is not a youth. His mask has been mechanized, but only out of necessity. The Caterpillar is an older character and his mask has not been altered in any way. Also, the Red Queen has very little differences between the traditional and the modern. That is because of the status and the attitude that the character holds.

Honors College Grant:

Wrote up the grant incentive business. I’m gonna go talk to Kevin Brazanski tomorrow, or at least set up a meeting while waiting for Nate’s half of the proposal. The more paperwork I do the more I feel like a lawyer. I thought I got into theatre to avoid paperwork. I think I’m starting to get good a this muckity muck chit chat. It makes me want to kill something cute however. Like a baby duck orphan house. Why is it that being this professional always feels like lying?

Anyway, I worked with Kevin on CSI:IUP . I liked him. His team sucked, but he was cool. And the experience was certainly interesting. Something that I will think of for years to come. Thanks Tim. (Tim Zeddies wrote the script.)

No comments:

Post a Comment