Friday, July 31, 2009

Scott Frank

Brian really wants me to enter Saving Alice in the NPP. I’m not really even sure why. All that I know is this; if I enter the play then Scott Frank will respond to it. This makes me nervous after all that I’ve heard about him. All I really know is that he likes to follow Fritag’s pyramid. So do I. But from what people have told me about him that is his life. He won’t pay attention to anything besides the script.

I wrote this with the mindset of directing it. So story wasn’t the only thing that I was focusing on. For the most part it was, but not all of it. And I know its not a perfect script. There are parts that are shaky and parts that I need to see live to get the pace right. I’m still tweaking it. But being that I’ve been writing so long I know that you can never completely satisfy a write with a written work unless they are the person that wrote it. That’s why I’m worried about Frank Scott. Because he didn’t write Saving Alice. Because I’m not writing his themes or with his voice or scene structure.

What makes me more nervous is that I over heard that Corey didn’t like the script. Why does this matter? Because he should like it. He is the “target audience”. Or something like it. And I should have grew a pair and asked for some feedback, but I didn’t. it the same reason that I don’t want Scott Frank to go ape shit on my play…because I’m still new at this writing thing and I;m still learning and if someone manages to tear me down just write it’s going to be a long time before I get around to writing another play. I know, grow a pair. I need them to be in this industry. But I’m not sure if any writer I’ve ever talked to has ever gotten to the point where harsh feedback doesn’t make them doubt.

So what can I do? Not enter it? What would it help if I didn’t submit. I fail by way of self execution.

I’m sitting down and getting truly intimate with the script. I don’t know this Scott Frank. So I have to do one better. In my mind I’ve brought the two writers that I respect most to respond to the show; Joss Whedon and Grant Morrison. If I can get the play to the point that I want those guys to see it then Scott Frank can blow it out his ass whether he likes it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment